Crafting hard candy may seem like a daunting task, but in reality, it’s quite straightforward! You can quickly make delicious edibles that are ideal for on-the-go snacking with cannabutter and everyday kitchen staples. Let’s get started with the cooking!
Cannabutter is essentially butter that has been infused with cannabis. Whether you’re whipping up some weed gummies or pot brownies, cannabutter is a crucial ingredient in nearly all types of cannabis-infused edibles, including hard candy.
For those who prefer to consume cannabis through edibles, learning how to make cannabutter is a vital aspect of the process. Be aware that making a batch of cannabutter can take several hours since the cannabis must first be dried, activated, and infused into the mixture before it can be used in a recipe.
How To Make Cannabutter
Although it may seem like something complicated, making cannabutter at home is not that hard. Top-notch cannabis buds, butter, water, cheesecloth, and a few culinary utensils that are undoubtedly lying around your house are all that are required. Here are 8 easy steps you can take in order to make a killer cannabutter:
- Preheat the oven to 250°F (120°C) and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Lightly grind cannabis buds/trim and spread over the aluminum foil on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 250°F (120°C).
- Take the dried cannabis out of the oven, breaking up any bigger bits that may have remained.
- Bring 4 cups (950 mL) of water to a boil, then add 1 pound of butter and wait until it melts into the water.
- Add decarboxylated cannabis to the water and butter mixture.
- Allow the mixture to cook on Medium-Low for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Line a large bowl with two layers of cheesecloth and strain the mixture through the cheesecloth.
Note: You can enclose the weed completely in a turkey bag or glass mason jar during the baking step to reduce the smell. Dried weed is easier to measure properly. Decarboxylation improves potency. Adding more water won’t change potency, and water filters out undesired tastes.
3 Cannabis Candy Recipes
If you are looking to satisfy your sweet tooth and get a nice little buzz, these recipes will hit the sweet spot!
1 cup (235 ml) sugar
1/2 cup (120 ml) corn syrup
1/4 cup (60 ml) filtered water
2-3 tablespoons of cannabutter
1 tablespoon of flavor (it’s up to your preference)
- Candy thermometer
- Lollipop/candy mold
- Lollipop sticks
- Over medium/high heat, mix sugar and water in a pot or saucepan. Keep stirring until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Once the ingredients combine and start boiling, put the thermometer in the pot/pan and pay close attention until the temperature reaches 300°F (150°C).
- Once the temperature reaches 300°F (150°C), remove the pot/pan from heat without removing the thermometer.
- When the temperature drops to 250°F (120°C), add the cannabis tincture/oil and the flavor, and stir until everything mixes together.
- Pour the liquid and add the sticks.
- After adding the sticks and pouring the liquid into the molds, let them cool for 15-20 minutes.
Making canna gummies is a breeze, even easier than making weed lollipops!. You’ll need only 4 or 5 ingredients and a mold. If you don’t have one ice cube tray can work just fine.
- 1 cup (235 ml) of fresh fruit juice or fruit puree (flavor of your choice)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of cold water
- 1 teaspoon of agar-agar powder (this is a vegan option instead of gelatin)
- 1 tablespoon of cannabutter
- Sweetener or a pinch of sugar
- Silicone gummy molds (or ice cube trays)
- Medium saucepan or pot
Canna Gummies Recipe:
- If you’re using fruit puree, stir it a bit to improve its consistency before starting.
- Pour the puree/juice into a medium saucepan over medium/high heat and let it boil. Meanwhile, add a teaspoon of agar-agar to a separate dish and stir it with water.
- Carefully pour the water and agar-agar into the boiled fruit juice (or fruit puree), stir the mixture for 3 minutes, and add sweetener/sugar if you want.
- Turn off the heat and let the pot or pan cool somewhat before adding the cannabutter.
- When pouring the mixture into the molds/ice cube tray, let it cool down for 20 minutes at room temperature before leaving it in the fridge for another 20 minutes.
- Take the gummies out of the molds and cover them with powdered sugar to prevent them from sticking to one another.
This is one simple yet effective recipe for cannabis-infused edibles. Without further ado lets get to cooking.
- 9 tablespoons (128 grams) of salted butter
- 1 cup (200 grams) of sugar
- 1 cup (338 grams) of molasses
- 2 teaspoons (4 grams) of dried licorice root powder
- 2 tablespoons of cannabutter
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (90 grams) of flour
- 1 teaspoon of black food coloring (5 ml)
- Glass baking dish
- Candy thermometer
THC Licorice Recipe:
- Line a 9×5 inch (23×13 cm) glass baking dish with parchment paper and grease the parchment paper.
- In a double boiler with a candy thermometer, heat 9 Tbsp (128 g) of salted butter, 1 cup (200 g) of sugar, and 1 cup (340 g) of molasses to 265 degrees Fahrenheit (130°C), stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2 tsp (2 g) of dried licorice root powder, cannabutter, 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of vanilla extract, and 3/4 cup (90 g) of flour.
- Pour mixture into lined baking dish and let set for 1 hour.
- Turn the dish upside down on a cutting board lined with buttered parchment paper.
- Cut into 1×1 inch (2.5×2.5 cm) square shapes and roll into tubular form.
- Let set for 30 minutes.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks and enjoy!